- At this point in your life, what does Spiritual Warfare mean to you?
- What does the Word teach us about Spiritual Warfare?
- Have you had any experiences with spiritual warfare? If so, describe a few.
What is Spiritual Warfare?
Our battle is against _______________, _______________, and _______________. (Eph. 2:1-3)
The devil and his nature
Who is the devil, and what does he do?
- John 12:31, 14:30, 16:11,
- Eph. 2:2, Gen. 3:1-4,
- Matt. 4:8-10,
- John 8:44,
- 2 Cor. 4:4,
- Heb. 2:14-15
- Deceives (2Cor. 4:4, 11: 3-4)
- Devours (1Peter 5:5-8)
- Discourages (Isa 61:3)
- Destroys (John 10:10)
- Divides (John 17:23, Eph 4:25-27)
Times we tend to see warfare
Overcoming the Enemy (Personal & Ministry)
The Source of our Victory
What Jesus has done – He has overcome the person and work of the enemy.
- God made you alive with Christ…And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross (Colossians 2:13).
- The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work (1 John 3:8).
- [Jesus] has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the Kingdom of the Son He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins (Col 1:13)
- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and have it to the full (John 10:10).
The contrast between Jesus and Satan
Wielding our weapons… PRAYER
- Ephesians 6:10-20
- Nehemiah 4:14, 17
- James 4:7
Spiritual Warfare and Cross Cultural Ministry Handout was put together using the following resources listed below along with resources from Katie Rawson and Laura Thiel.
References and Helpful books
Ingram, C. (2006). The invisible war: What every believer needs to know about Satan, demons, and
spiritual warfare. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.
Murphy, E. (2003). The handbook for spiritual warfare. Nashville, Tenn.: T. Nelson.
Anderson, N. (2000). The bondage breaker. Eugene, Or.: Harvest House.
White, T. (1990). The believer's guide to spiritual warfare. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Vine Books.
Voelkel, J., & Voelkel, M. (2012). Spiritual Warfare in Mission. InterVarsity Press.
Flynn, M., & Gregg, D. (1993). Inner healing: A handbook for helping yourself & others. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press.
Richardson, R. (2005). Experiencing healing prayer: How God turns our hurts into wholeness. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press.