When you hear the word “gentle,” what comes to mind? Maybe a light breeze or a little kitten. Perhaps to you gentleness is something not often talked about or not highly valued. In a world of war and power, gentle people seem more likely to be pushed aside, marginalized, and stepped on. It can be easy to think that gentleness is a thing of the past, no longer useful or wanted today. Peter writes about it as a part of the Christian life, however.
Read 1 Peter 3:14-16
Exploring the Passage
1) Why do you think gentleness and respect are paired together in this passage?
2) What reaction does speaking with gentleness bring from others?
3) What about gentleness makes it a quality from God?
Charting the Course
1) Read 2 Corinthians 10:1 as well. Gentleness is presented as an attribute of Christ. Does this make you look at it differently?
2) Peter says that speaking with gentleness will cause others to respect you and not speak out against you. Do you think that happens?
3) From this passage, you would be responding gently to people who you may not like or who may treat you badly. Do you do this? Does it seem hard to you?