Read Matthew 5:38-48; 7:1-5
- Many cultures teach a principle of revenge like “an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” What do you think this saying means?
- What does Jesus say about taking revenge? Look at the situations Jesus describes. What would our natural reactions be?
- What does Jesus expect of his followers? What do we accomplish by acting like Jesus wants us to?
- Jesus said his followers should be different from other people. How? Why?
- What are practical ways of loving your enemies?
- Who are we like when we love our enemies? How did God demonstrate his love for all people?
- What would be your attitude toward your enemy if you lived as Jesus described?
- What does Jesus say are the standards God will judge us on? Is this fair? Why or why not?
- What is Jesus describing with the situation of the speck and the plank?
- What does the speck represent? What does the plank represent?
- How would you explain the meaning of this?
Is living as Jesus described possible? Why do you think so?
*note: some questions were taken from Sermon on the Mount: Seeking First the Kingdom of God by John Stott (InterVarsity Press)