I. Background Information
- Heathen (v 17): people who live life ignoring God and disobeying His laws.
- Vice (v 19): habits and ways of living or thinking that are against God’s will.
- Indecent (v 19): things which are immoral and against God’s design for our sexual lives.
- Giving the devil a chance (v 27): the Bible says that the devil is constantly trying to get us to disobey God. Each time we follow his ideas and sin, we become part of the problems in the world which sadden God and bring more and more pain to people. Paul is telling us to be aware of this danger and not let the devil lead us into any of this behavior.
- Underline main ideas as you read.
Now Paul moves to talking about the daily life of someone who follows Jesus. We are to be “new” people who look like Jesus whom we follow. Though our forgiveness is a gift – not something we work for or earn – it results in a life of trying to please God and this means a constant effort to turn away from anything that would dishonor or disappoint our heavenly Father.
IV. Daily Thoughts (write out your answers)
- What did you learn today? Write down a few thoughts you have about what you read.
- What questions do you have after reading and thinking?
- Is there anything you think God wants you to do based on what you read today?
- For what people or situations do you need to thank God today?
- For what people or situations do you need to ask God’s help today?
- Take time to talk to God about these things. (talk and listen)