Read Mark 12:28-34
Each culture has a set of values that define what conduct is good and what is bad. Do you think these values are arbitrary? Or are there rules for living which are valid and good for all people in all cultures?
- What is Jesus’ answer to the question?
- How should a person love God? What does it mean to love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength?
- What is the significance of the repeated word “all”?
- Why do you think Jesus added the commandment to love your neighbor?
- How is loving other people related to loving God?
- What did Jesus mean by “neighbor”?
- Jesus assumes in this answer that you love yourself. Do you think it is important to love yourself?
- What does it mean to love your neighbor as yourself?
- Why are loving God and loving your neighbor the most important commands?
- Why does love for God come first?
- How do you think Jesus would answer the original discussion question? Would his teaching apply to all cultures?
How would my life change if I believed God loved and valued me and cared about my relationship to him and to other people?