Interacting With Jesus: The Rich Ruler
Read Luke 18:18-30
- How would you describe this man’s encounter with Jesus?
- How did Jesus challenge him to think about the meaning of the word “good”?
- What standard do people generally use to measure their goodness?
- What was Jesus’ standard for goodness?
- Look at the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17). Which ones did Jesus mention?
- Which ones did he skip?
- What do they have in common?
- Why do you think he chose the ones he did?
- The man claims he has kept all the commands. Do you think he understand what that claim means?
- What three things did Jesus ask him to do?
- What was the one thing he lacked?
- What was his response? What did that show about him?
- What is Jesus asking of the man?
- What did Jesus promise the man if he obeyed?
- Why did the man leave feeling sad?
- What does that tell you about the power of possessions in his life?
- What are the things you value? What are you giving your life for?
- Why is it hard for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God?
- What extreme image did Jesus use to describe how hard it is?
- What hope is there for such a person?
- Peter was concerned about the cost of being a disciple. What does Jesus say to reassure him?
- What difference would it make in your life if you realized God gives us more than we ever give him?
- “To inherit eternal life”, “to enter the kingdom of God”, and “to be saved” are all the same thing – what does each one convey?