Read Luke 7:36-50
- Why do you think Simon (the Pharisee) had invited Jesus to his house?
- We learn that Simon failed to perform polite actions of greeting. What does this tell us about his attitude toward Jesus?
- How does this compare to the actions of the woman?
- Why do you think she went to see Jesus?
- What did it cost her to express her appreciation of Jesus socially? Emotionally? Financially?
- What was Simon’s response to the woman’s actions?
- What did he think to himself about Jesus? Why?
- How did Jesus respond to Simon’s unspoken criticism?
- What was Jesus teaching through this story?
- What did it imply about Simon?
- How did the people react to what Jesus said?
- Do you think Jesus was being rude to Simon?
- Why was Jesus so direct in what he said?
- Even though Simon was highly religious, what did he still not have?
- What can we learn about the woman from her actions?
- What was her view of herself? Of Jesus?
- Why do you think she didn’t care about what others thought of her?
- Why could she be forgiven, even though she had lived such an immoral life?
- Was Simon forgiven? Why or why not?
- How does his reaction compare to the woman’s?
- How do people today deal with the wrong things in their lives or the guilt they feel?
- Jesus said he could forgive sins. What reactions do you think Simon and woman gave?
- What would your response be?
It is common in life to perform a test to measure the status or content of something. An encounter with Jesus was like a test for many people, revealing the true attitude of their minds and hearts.