Read Matthew 14:22-33 and Luke 9:1-26
- Jesus had just performed a miracle and fed 5,000 people. What might the mood of the crowd have been like after this?
- Why might Jesus have sent the disciples away? Why would he have wanted to be home at this time?
- Why difficulty did the disciples encounter?
- How did the disciples first react to Jesus walking on the lake?
- Why might Peter have wanted to join Jesus on the water?
- What do you learn about Peter from this?
- What emotions might Peter have had?
- When did Peter begin to sink? Why didn’t he drown?
- What did Jesus say to Peter?
- What was he criticized for? What was he not criticized for?
- What was the reaction by the others in the boat?
- What two questions did Jesus ask Peter and the other disciples in Luke?
- What is the difference between these questions?
- Which one asks for a personal commitment?
- How did Peter answer?
- What did Jesus then teach his disciples?
- What did Jesus predict would happen to him?
- What did Jesus teach us about discipleship?
- What does it cost to be a Christian?
- Why does it cost not to be a Christian?
- Why would anyone be ashamed of Jesus or his words?
- What can we learn about Jesus?
What would it mean for you to acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God?
Read John 21:1-25
- Who are the people involved in this incident?
- What took place?
- What caused Peter to realize it was Jesus waiting on the shore?
- Why do you think Peter reacted how he did?
- What did Jesus tell them to do once they got on shore?
- What was Peter’s response?
- Why do you think he did that?
- Why would Jesus wait until breakfast was finished before he spoke with Peter?
- Why would Jesus call him “Simon, son of John”?
- What might the word “these” in verse 15 refer to?
- What did that mean for Peter?
- Jesus questioned Peter three times. How did he respond?
- Compare his final response to Matthew 26:31-35. How has Peter changed?
- Why would Jesus ask Peter the same question three times?
- What had Peter recently done three times to Jesus?
- What assignment does Jesus give to Peter?
- What was Jesus’ advice to Peter about the future of the other disciple? How is that advice helpful to any follower of Christ?
- What would say were Peter’s greatest strengths and weaknesses? How are they related?
- What have you learned about Jesus from this?
- What would it mean for you to acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God, as Peter did?