Interacting With Jesus: The Centurion
Read Matthew 8:5-13
- What caused the centurion to go to Jesus?
- As a Roman military officer, what was his position and responsibility in Capernaum?
- How do you think he would be regarded by the Jews in that town?
- How was he actually regarded?
- What does this tell you about his character?
- How did Jesus respond to his request?
- Why do you think the centurion responded the way he did?
- What does this tell you about his view of Jesus? Of himself?
- What two things does he compare?
- What does he see in the authority of Jesus that is similar to what he has?
- What is different?
- What authority backs Jesus up?
- What does situation this tell you about Jesus’ demeanor (attitude, conduct)?
- How did Jesus respond to the centurion?
- What is he teaching his followers here?
- How does someone enter the kingdom of heaven?
- Simon the Pharisee and the centurion were both important men in their society. Compare them – which one came closer to Jesus? Why?