Reading: Genesis 37-38
Principal Question: Will treachery never end?
Main Point: Not yet, but wait and see.
- Read the story. What questions do you have?
- Did Joseph deserve what happened to him?
- What role did Judah play in this story?
- What do you believe about dreams?
- Can you guess the meaning of Joseph’s dreams?
- Shechem was the place where sister Dinah was humiliated. Why do you think the brothers returned to Shechem?
- How would Jacob have felt about their going back to Shechem?
- Do you think Jacob knew how the brothers really felt about Joseph?
- Discuss the response of each brother to Joseph.
- Why would Reuben try to protect Joseph?
- How would the sons of Bilah and Zilpah have felt towards Joseph (Genesis 37:2)?
- Try to guess how Simeon and Levi fit into the discussion.
- Describe any family traits you have observed now for four generations.
- If trust is the measure of relationship, what hope do you see for this family to survive as one unified clan?